You can keep one or more mailing lists in Direct Mail under the Addresses tab. In Direct Mail, mailing lists are called "groups". There are three different kind of groups:
- Group: This is the default kind of address group. You can add your contacts to an address group.
- Blacklist (or suppression list): Addresses you add to a blacklist will never receive email from you so long as they are blacklisted.
- Smart Group: Just like a Smart Playlist in iTunes, you can use a smart group to show you only those contacts that meet certain criteria.
If you want to segment your mailing list to target a subset of your contacts, here are two ways:
- Smart Groups. Create a smart group and set the criteria you want to filter on.
- Manually. Create a new group and manually add contacts to in. A contact can belong to more than one group. Just copy and paste, or hold down the Option/Alt key while dragging a contact from one group into another. Any changes you make to that contact (like editing the first or last name) will be reflected in all the groups it belongs to.